Fourteenth, in my post series about the characters in Cleaning House – An Appalachian Contemporary Fantasy, comes Stowne, one of the lead characters. I’ll let the description and imagery do the talking here.
1) Name/Nickname – Stowne, Big Rock, Ol’ Pile of Gravel
2) Occupation/ Title/ Purpose – Mountain Spirit, Earth Elemental, Embreeville Mountain, Anxious Boulders Waiting for Their Love to Return, Quaking Earth
3) Associated Song – “Lift” Poets of the Fall (Stowne’s song to their love, Cent, but it very much represents Stowne)
4) Descriptive Sentence, Phrase, or Excerpt –
Stowne was smells and shadows, there, but always unseen. Earth and rocks and… she couldn’t explain Stowne besides that. No other words did Stowne justice.
5) Quotable – “Let my soil slip between your toes and feed you.”