Eighth, in my post series about the characters in Cleaning House – An Appalachian Contemporary Fantasy, comes Ivan Ruleman.
1) Name/Nickname – Ivan Ruleman. Preacher, Mr. Ruleman
2) Occupation/ Title/ Purpose – Nondenominational Leader, Possessed Man, Energy for Dark Spirits
3) Associated Song – “The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie” – Colter Wall
4) Descriptive Sentence, Phrase, or Excerpt –
He wasn’t an especially tall man, not even Cent’s height for that matter, and he was almost as round as Mama, but he possessed a holier-than-thou expression that made her doubt he ever uttered a kind word to anyone unless it suited his purposes.
5) Quotable – “Any fool can speak the words.” Ruleman turned to face her as he reached into his pocket and pulled out another handful of salt. “You pervert the meaning and twist it into lies.”
Release Date: 8/1/18
Centenary Rhodes is an old soul with a well-traveled name, but she doesn’t know this yet.
Growing up in southern Appalachia wasn’t easy, so Cent left home as soon as she could, but the post-collegiate happiness she’d expected has never occurred. She can’t find a decent date, much less find that special someone and, after losing her job in a corporate downsize, she’s struggling to meet her most basic needs. Her car has been repossessed, her bills are piling up, and her questionable North Chicago neighborhood is dangerous to navigate.
Returning home to Hare Creek, Tennessee, never crosses Cent’s mind until her Great Aunt Tess contacts her with an offer she can’t refuse. The family’s southern Appalachian homestead must be sold, and Aunt Tess needs someone to clean it up. Cent will have access to Aunt Tess’ garden and truck and can live on the homestead rent-free for as long as it takes. A part-time job is waiting for her as well.
It’s a chance to solve some of Cent’s financial woes, but will her return be enough when evil sets its sights on Embreeville Mountain and the homestead?
Cleaning House is a carefully woven Appalachian tapestry of granny magic, haints, elementals, and the fantastic diversity of the human condition – served with a delicious side of fries and a generous quart of peach moonshine.
Read more Cleaning House Meet The Characters Posts HERE.